I have had few conservation with MS about the AI catalog recently about, What I’m using it for, why is it important, how the catalog is update and when, etc…
Here is what you need to know.
- MS requires 4 different site to upload an application before it will be categories
- It takes 30 days for MS for categories an application
- It takes a farther 90 days before the updated catalog is released to the public.
- MS wants to make it better
What can you do to improve the catalog:
- Download and run Kim’s script that will get around that pesky 100 application title limit! http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/koppalfens/archive/2011/03/26/asset-intelligence-reporting.aspx
- Ensure that you run this script weekly!
- Blog about exactly what you want to see done with the catalog. Make sure that you give exact reasons why you want something and why it is important to you. Don’t say “just fix it”, say something like “ I would like to see better classification for example Subcategory. The subcat will help weed out add-on and run-time which don’t affect my likening tracking.”
Title Normalized Vendor Version Family name Category Name SubCat
Microsoft Office Access 2000 SR-1 Runtime Microsoft 9.00.3821 Productivity and Viewers Office Suites and Productivity Run-time
Microsoft Office Word 2007 MUI Pack (English) Microsoft 12.0.4518.1014 Productivity and Viewers Office Suites and Productivity Add-on
Microsoft Office 2007 Proof (English) Microsoft 12.0.4518.1007 Productivity and Viewers Office Suites and Productivity Add-on
Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate Edition Microsoft 12.0.4518.1014 Productivity and Viewers Office Suites and Productivity Suite/Product
Everyone download and run Kim’s script! I’m don’t this on a few of my sites and are now working with my client to do the same too!